The condition of your home will have a definite impact on the final selling price you receive and how quickly your home sells. Some minimal fix-ups and a little elbow grease can pay you big dividends in the end. Below are some simple tips to make sure your home outshines the rest.
- Declutter the house—closets, cabinets, cupboards, etc.
- Thoroughly clean the entire house—wash walls, window sills, light fixtures, and window coverings. Shampoo carpets. Dust shelves.
- Make the rooms look as spacious as possible. Buyers need to envision their belongings in the space. Any furniture that is unnecessary and makes a room look crowded should be stored away.
- You don’t have to remove all personal pictures and memorabilia, but scale down the number of portraits and posters. Be sure to patch all holes in wall.
- Buyers want to see a home that is well lit. Keep your curtains, blinds and draperies open in the daytime and keep lights turned on for showings in the evening.
- Make sure the kitchen shines. Get small appliances and clutter cleared from countertops. Keep the sink clean with no dirty dishes.
- Clean kitchen appliances—refrigerator, oven and microwave and remove clutter from the outside of the refrigerator.
- Place scented candles throughout the home.
- Keep bathrooms clean and clutter free.
- Repair any leaky faucets or slow drains
- Beds should be made and clothes picked up and put away.
- Closets should be organized and tidy.
- Touch up paint wherever necessary.
- Decorate the home with modern décor. A splash of color from pillows, rugs, flowers or throws can make your home even more attractive.
- If there are “dark corners” in your home, replace light bulbs with higher wattage bulbs. Mirrors can also be used to make a room appear larger or brighter.
- Replace any worn door handles or locks, and ensure that doors work properly.
- Sweep the front steps and sidewalk.
- Remove any debris from around the home.
- Trim shrubbery and bushes.
- Potted plants and flowers by the home’s entrance will add color.
- In the winter, safety is key so be sure ice and snow are removed from all walkways and the driveway.
- If you have a patio or deck, the outdoor furniture should be clean and inviting.
- Ensure the roof and gutters are clean and in good condition.
- Keep your lawn mowed and edged and the grass watered so it’s green.
- Replace any broken windows, screens, or shutters.
- Clean the garage, removing unnecessary clutter. You want it to appear as spacious as possible.
- Park extra cars away from the home.